When to Use Essay Citations in Your Paper
Essay Citation is a Must
When writing an essay of any essay length, it is critical that you place Essay Citations within your paper. If you fail to do so, your work could be considered to be plagiarised. There are three instances in which you need to ensure that you have used citations within your essay text.
In-text citations must be used in the following situations:
1. When a direct quote has been placed in your essay.
2. When you place a paraphrased idea from a source in your essay.
3. When you summarize information from one source and use it in your essay.
The MLA Citation Style
There are a number of citation systems that you can use. However, one of the most popular and frequently used Essay Citation systems is the author-page system. The recognized standard for this citation system is the Modern Language Association, normally referred to as the MLA style of citation. This citation style is used largely in the humanities field. In MLA citations, the surname of the author and the page number is provided in parenthesis. In the event of you referencing the name of the author within your essay text, it is important that you provide only the page number.
Examples of MLA Citations
Take a look at two ways in which you can make citations in a MLA style essay.
1. When making a picture book, the book’s author normally purchases the pictures or pays for permission to include them. (Yolten and Birsen, 223).
2. According to Yolten and Birsen, when an author creates a book that includes numerous photographs, the photographs used are purchased by the book’s author. (223).
As you can see from the above examples, when there are two authors, the surnames of both authors are noted. However, in the case of more than two authors, the reference is made in the following manner: (Yolten, Birsen, et al, 140). The MLA style of Essay Citation is an in-text method. It contains only the necessary amount of information that is needed to assist your readers in finding the information in the works cited page. There are some cool custom Facebook pages that might be in use for you.
Even though adding a direct quote from an expert can give your essay an additional impact, you should make an effort to paraphrase or summarize information as much as possible. The summary or paraphrase should be placed along with a citation that references the source. However, if you do plan on using a direct quote, make sure you follow the following rules:
Rules for Using a Direct Quote
1. Place the quote exactly as it is, even if it contains spelling errors. Immediately after the spelling error, insert the word [sic]. “Make sur [sic] you follow…”
2. If the entire quote is not used, use ellipses along with trailing quotation marks (…”).
3. If you underline, make bold or make any sort of changes to the quotation, note the change in parenthesis (my underline).
4. Parenthesis ( ) should be used for information that you have added following a quote. Square brackets [ ] should be used for information that you have added inside the quote.
5. Always cite your source.
If you feel unsure regarding Essay Citations, you can buy an essay from a writing service to get a better idea.