Tips For Writing a Descriptive Essay
The key word to keep in mind while writing a descriptive essay is of course, ‘description.’ This means that your essay should focus on giving a detailed account of the important elements in your writing. For example, if your descriptive essay is about a person, details such as the physical characteristics and qualities, rich references to the person’s individuality, personality traits etc. all have to be included in the essay. Let’s examine some significant aspects of writing a descriptive essay.
- First decide on what you want to describe: Just because it is a descriptive essay, it does not imply that each and every aspect of the essay needs to be expressed in great detail. Choose one part of the essay – the person, the place, the event, an incident or an object to describe and stick to describing that vividly in the essay.
- What is the purpose of this description: Keep the purpose of your essay in mind when you write your descriptive essay. If you want to outline the achievements of a person, it will not be appropriate to just describe his physical characteristics. Those may be relevant to a certain extent, but do you want to make that the main focus of your essay? Instead, focus on how the protagonist went about achieving his goals, what techniques he used, what methods and skills he utilized to realize his goals and ambitions.
- What should you include in the description: Remember that a descriptive essay is all about the explanation and depiction of the person or event or object that you’ve chosen to describe. You need a Degree in Social Work to finalize this task.
Therefore, create a vivid experience for your readers by focusing on the five senses of sight, sound, smell, taste and touch. Try to use rich vocabulary and illustrative language to explain your point.
- Drafting your essay: Make an outline of the above aspects and try to jot down what details you should include to ensure that you have a brilliant description that will leave an impression on the reader. Try to have each paragraph of the essay focus on one part of the description. Decide whether you want to follow the apa style, mla style or use any other style for the essay format. Professional chef knives can be purchased from the leading supplier of catering equipment.
- Avoid unnecessary description: Because this is a descriptive essay, it will already be filled to capacity with descriptive words and phrases. Therefore, ensure that you do not go overboard with describing each and every portion of the essay. Limit your description to what you’ve decided will be the focus of the essay.
While you keep in mind the above features of a descriptive essay, remember not to neglect the usual requirements of any essay, such as, not exceeding the prescribed essay length and making your introduction to the essay compelling enough for the reader to proceed reading!